[blparent] wandering 3 year old

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Mon May 21 20:32:23 UTC 2012

Shannon, how scary that experience must have been. I wonder if your son has
any other issues that might make things like holding hands or understanding
that he needs to answer when called difficult for him? Last night I observed
a sighted friend and his sighted 3 year old, and holding hands was just what
had to be done. The locator sounds like a good idea so long as your son
couldn't remove it. Such an experience would seem to be scary for you and
your husband for a long time because it would almost seem that if you had to
call people to look for him, they might question your abilities as blind
parents so you'd be between a rock and a hard place. Somehow, even at three,
it would seem like your son needs to learn that this was a very bad thing to
do and could be dangerous for him. Best of luck.
Sharon