[blparent] children and trust

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Sun May 20 20:13:24 UTC 2012

Jody, I appreciate that you wish to be tactful about this issue of the
leashes. I will attempt to be just as tactful.

I like the leashes as I think a child is far more comfortable when you are
out doing a lot of traveling if the child has the freedom of movement
allowed by the leash. I can not imagine it is at all comfortable to walk
around with one's hand lifted in the air for long periods of time.
Additionally, when it is very hot I like for my child to be able to carry a
water bottle. I do not know where you live, but in Oklahoma the temperatures
have already been up around 90 this Spring.

Leashes do not take the place of good parenting. I always expected my kids
to hold hands to cross streets or in parking lots. This was really more for
the consistency of behavior that would be expected with or without a leash,
especially when they were a little older.

I have three kids and rarely used a leash with the youngest, but would not
let the other two out of the car in many places without one already
attached. This had to do with the temperament of my children. Everyone
wanted a leash on my older two, it was not a blindness thing. Though I do
think blindness comes into it because as a blind parent I was exiting cars
in my driveway rather than using a remote and parking in the garage with a
closed garage door, and I also had to have free hands to remove our car
seats and other things from various cars we were traveling in.I could loop
the leash on my wrist and have my own hands to help a sibling out or in to
the car, pay the bus or cab fare, tie someone else's shoe, carry the car
seat, unlock the door, deal with cold weather garments, or a myriad of other
things that it is necessary to do without worrying about loosing my kids.

All three of my boys are independent and sensible children. They generally
come when called and are well behaved.

I hope I have been able to change your perception on the use of leashes. Not
to needing one yourself because in truth if you have made it to the age of
three with your little one, he is probably not the kind of temperament that
desperately called for one, and generally my kids did not use one much by
that age.

Please ask my anything else about the use of leashes as I have probably
heard everything on the subject. I have also happily directed many sighted
parents who saw my kids in one out in public and wanted to know where to get
one for their own kids. I stress this sighted issue because I did sometimes
come across people who thought I needed it because I am blind.

Jennifer