[blparent] resource list

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:34:06 UTC 2012

Amen Jo Elizabeth, and coming from someone who trains dogs for a living,
humans don't learn much different from canines believe it or not.  It makes
me think of one of the main trainers for Shamoo the whale.  She used to use
training techniques of positive reinforcement on her husband the same way
she did with Shamoo, and her husband would sometimes stop and say, "Did you
just Shamoo me?"  It's hilarious but so true that we often times learn the
same as animals learn and that's not a bad thing.  Carrying a lot of animal
training techniques into parenting has merely made me a better parent.  I
used to think that leashes were probably more helpful for blind parents than
sighted, but now that I'm a mom with lots of sighted friends who use them as
well, I see how beneficial they are for everyone.  My sighted mother used to
put an actual dog leash on my coat when I was a toddler because I was big at
taking off from her.  A lady in the grocery store one day came up to my mom
and started tearing her a new one about how cruel it was to put me on a
leash like an animal, and my mom was brilliant with how she handled this
woman.  She simply smiled at this woman and handed her the leash.  My mom
then said, "Go ahead and take her for five minutes and then tell me if you
think the leash is such a horrible thing!"  Just then I began tugging at the
end of the leash, trying to make one of my famous escapes and the woman
simply handed the leash back to my mom and said, "I didn't think of it like
that, sorry."  The leash really allows me as a parent to be more relaxed and
not a helicopter parent, hovering over my child every second because I'm
afraid they might take off at any second.  My son is 19 months now and is at
an age where he can just hold our hands but he knows the rules and if he
refuses to hold our hands he either goes on leash or gets carried or put in
the stroller.  It's not a punishment, just a matter of fact thing that
happens.  When I have my husband around or sighted friends who I trust, I'll
let my son have time when he can run around loose but I praise him so much
for holding hands that he enjoys it.

Erin