[blparent] resource list

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:41:10 UTC 2012

That is exactly what a mom said to me once, and the next day my husband and
I noticed her 2 year old walking down the side of a busy street
unsupervised.  I don't try to judge other people's parenting styles, and I
really don't care if they judge mine, but it's hard to overlook a young
toddler walking alone on a busy inner city street.
My point is that sometimes our best intentions alone might not be enough.
Kids test boundaries, and as blind parents we can't always catch a child who
is darting toward the street, which is a major fear of mine.  I was hit by a
car myself once, so having young children near the street makes me very
nervous.  I think using the leash is a much better sollution than keeping my
children locked in the backyard and never taking them out anywhere.  One of
my children is a true example of the saying "in one ear and out the
other..." I have tried all of my carefully planned out parenting strategies
to get her to obey, and still I cannot trust her to do what she's been
taught.  I refuse to punish my other children by keeping them all home
because she might put herself at risk, so she is to hold my hand or walk
right beside me, and the minute she starts testing boundaries she wears her
harness.  I will not ever risk the safety of my children to comply to what
other people consider to be acceptible parenting.  I believe I am a "good
parent" because I care enough to do what has to be done to keep my children
safe.
Leanne