[blparent] when children get hurt

Ronit Ovadia Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:41:35 UTC 2012

Hi list,
I have a question which may seem silly to many of you but I would appreciate any tips you may have. Whenever Alex falls down or gets hurt somehow and I am not right there to see what happened, I am having a hard time knowing how he hurt himself and the severity of the injury. I know this will be happening more once he learns to walk and I'd love your ideas on how to handle this. Whenever I know he has hurt himself, I always inspect as best I can with my hands to see if I feel any blood. Often times, however, he doesn't let me check him out thoroughly because he is crying and he pushes my hands away. HE is not old enough to tell me what hurts. We had an incident at the park a few weeks ago when he cut his lip on a wooden rocking horse and luckily my husband was there to help figure out how bad it was and to put water on it etc, but I am terrified that he will get more seriously hurt when I am by myself and I may not know what he hurt and how bad it is. What have you all done?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Ronit