[blparent] Domperidone; was Re: Nursing and not sleeping through the night.

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:33:36 UTC 2012

Hi Jo Elizabeth,

I don't mind discussing this on-list. At the recommendation of my
lactation consultant, I took domperidone. I ordered this from a
pharmacy in Canada because you can't get it in this country. My
lactation consultant told me (and I saw the same thing in my
independent research) that it had much less severe side effects than
reglan, the drug that is available by prescription in the US to
increase lactation.

Domperidone did increase my milk production, but I still had to
supplement. Additionally, a couple of times when I caught colds, my
supply dropped drastically. I might have kept on going, but I was
starting to experience a lot of anxiety in general, and after the last
cold, I just could not face the prospect of continuing to pump several
times a day at work and wondering just how much my LO got while
nursing. So I stopped taking domperidone. My milk dried up pretty much
immediately at that point. I had no engorgement or anything like that.
My body really was done with milk production.

And not long after, I noticed that my anxiety levels decreased
significantly. I should add that the anxiety was relatively
generalized and encompassed everything from feeding the baby to the
security of my current job.

All of this sounded similar to me to side effects I'd heard about in
conjunction with reglan. But I couldn't find much on breastfeeding
boards about people who had experienced these side effects with
domperidone. I found one discussion about weight gain, which I had
unfortunately experienced as well, but nothing about emotional side
effects.

Like reglan, domperidone is actually manufactured for GI issues. I
decided to look for information about domperidone side effects from
other sources. I eventually found some informative discussions on a
board devoted to GI issues. Other people had experienced similar side
effects with domperidone. (Some of the women had also experienced
lactation, which, for them, was an unwelcome side effect of their GI
medication.)

I have a theory that some of this is due to domperidone's action on
dopamine and the connection between low dopamine levels and social
anxiety disorder, but this is only my own theory.

Anyway, things have started to return to normal for me since I've been
off of domperidone. I went through a whole grieving process because I
gave up nursing much sooner than I wanted to. But I think it's
probably better for Jacob to have a mom who's basically together (or,
at least, not totally crackign under the pressures of a distorted
reality). I am glad I was able to nurse him until he was eight months
old.

I don't regret trying domperidone. Apparently, many moms use it
successfully. My lactation consultant recommended it after pretty much
everything else had failed to get my milk production back up to a
level where I could feed exclusively breastmilk again. (I did do this
successfully for a few months.) And I know now that I tried everything
within my power to nurse for as long as I could. But it truly was an
awful experience. I found it interesting that more people who used the
drug for GI purposes seemed to be reporting issues than  did moms who
used it for lactation.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know. But I thought
I'd post this publicly in case someone else is considering
domperidone. I wouldn't tell someone else to stay away from it. I'd
just recommend that anyone be aware of their emotional state and bear
in mind that domperidone could have a negative effect.

And if your experience was at all similar, my heart goes out to you as well.

Angie

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blparent_nfbnet.org/alliemartins%40gmail.c