[blparent] when children get hurt

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu May 31 14:05:52 UTC 2012

Know that he won't get more seriously hurt just because you are by yourself.

Others have given good suggestions re checking for injuries.

Know too that you can also hold his hands so he can't push yours away and check for the injury. Speak calmly to him and convey that touch is part of the process, it's not because you can't see it.

He'll figure out that this is just how it is.

Also, some kids will figure out that acting like they're hurt gets them attention. Mine does this and I tell her that if she is unwilling to show me the problem then I'm unwilling to provide the attention. I've found that if it really is an injury or something she's concerned about, (she got a bug bite recently) she'll be more then willing to show me.