[blparent] teen laundry

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Nov 6 21:26:37 UTC 2012

I agree.  My teenage stepson went out to eat with me once in a shirt so
tattered it was barely worth putting on.  I didn't know it at the time.  But
several people in our party commented on it, and two of them went to
Wal-Mart and bought a bunch of clothes for him and Sarah, assuming their dad
and I couldn't afford to, I guess.  I was humiliated.  I told my stepson how
embarrassed I was and warned him that if I ever heard of him going out with
torn clothes again while he was with me, I was going to physically feel his
pants and shirts from then on to make sure they were intact before he made a
public appearance.  I was dead serious, and he knew it.  To my knowledge, he
hasn't gone out in shreds again.  By the same reasoning, I let my daughter
dress any way she wants at home.  But when we go out, she has to match at
least somewhat, so she doesn't look like a circus clown or a miniature bag
lady.  I know outsiders will assume that if she looks like that, it's
because her poor blind mother couldn't match up her clothes, not because she
dressed herself and she likes running around in one orange sock and one
white one.  If she's a little bit inhibited with her creative costuming in
public because society will look askew at her and pity her because she has a
blind mom, I can live with that.  She'll understand someday.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.