[blparent] What's the right thing to do?

Bernadetta bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sun Nov 11 04:11:03 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,
I never faced that personally--that being said, I've only been a mom
for eight months so no garantees that that won't happen. It's happened
to me with my service animal though, but that's besides the point.
I wholeheartedly agree with what you did; No one other than yourself
should have a say whether to bring your child to a public function such
as a church gathering. Your friend did definitely step out of line.
Seems that she could have only suggested it, although that would have
still been crossing the line; But to get mad at you for not complying
to her request is ridiculous. You shouldn't change your mind about
bringing your child anywhere just because someone is doing you a favor
of taking you there.
I would understand if an event is going to occur and the event was for
adults only, and it was made clear by the host or the church, whatever
it may be that you are not to bring your child along. But if the
service or event is for anyone, and everyone is invited, why not bring
your kid? I understand your friend would have preferred to attend
without the hassle of having children around, and ideally a service or
a gathering at church is supposed to be a comfortable place for all who
attend,  but who is she to tell you who yu can and cannot bring? It's
not as if she had the control of making sure that no children attend,
not just Sarah. I'm willing to bet she didn't call the other two
families who brought their children, just to tell them to kindly leave
their children behind. She thought that by doing you a favor, she was
going to get a favor out of you. Unfortunately her version of a favor
wasn't fair to you. You were not out of line at all. I'm glad you were
able to find other transportation, and it's her own loss that she
wasn't there. Why should you feel bad? She was the one who chose not to
come for her own seemingly idiotic reasons. Your kid, from what you've
posted about her as long as I've been a part of this list, is not some
terror; She's not hurricane sarah, and people dont' have to brace
themselves in her presence. In fact, it seems she's a good kid, and so
what if she makes a little noise here and there. She's a living,
breathing child.
In fact, I find your friend to be quite hypocritical; She's a
church-going woman, you'd think she'd embrace the fact that a parent
was eager to bring their offspring to church. Says something about her
if she wanted to exclude a child from an activity meant for everyone,
just so she can benefit from it with a little less chaos.
Don't lose any sleep over it; Let that crusty old friend of yours brood
over it instead; Over the fact that she tried to exercise unfair power
over you and your daughter. I wouldn't feel good about myself if I were her.
Bernadetta