[blparent] People holding my child

Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:39:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about getting upset: you should. Most people
don't ask to hold a baby and walk off. There are lots of ways you can
avoid having folks hold your kid if it upset you to have your baby so
far away from you.

If you like, wear your baby; that way, it seems inconvenient for you
to take the baby out just to have someone hold him. Also, it is always
okay to say no. If you don't like putting a period at the end of the
sentence come up with a reason that seems vallid. It doesn't have to
be true. Say, my kid has stranger anxiety. Or, he's sleepy and I'd
like him to get to sleep. Or, I have to feed him soon and he'll get
cranky away from me. Say anything that sounds plausible if you just
don't want to say no and leave it at that.

Also, just ask the lady or anyone to not go off. Engage them in a
conversation to keep them near you. If they keep walking off, just
say, hey, I'm not comfortable with you taking my baby far away please
stay near. If they don't oblige, then don't hand your kid over.

And above all else, you are mom. If your parents don't understand or
don't get it, just tell them, this is what I feel and this is what I
want for my kid and I would really appreciate it if you respect my
decisions and feelings about my child.

I had to say that with my parents and my in-laws about baptizing my
child. In the end, you are the one raising your kid, not them.