[blparent] On independence

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Oct 1 02:49:32 UTC 2012

Steve, those questions are good ones to keep in mind.  There have been times
in my life when I let fear keep me from doing things by myself that I could
have done.  There have been times that I let others make me believe I
couldn't do things on my own because that put them in a position of power.
But eventually, I figured out the problems and became stronger and more
self-sufficient, as I think most of us do.

In the situation with the stroller and the bus, I felt that it was efficient
and acceptable to say yes to the help that was offered.  The reason
accepting assistance didn't bother me was because if the passengers hadn't
been there, or hadn't been willing to lend a hand, I would have gotten on
the bus with everything in tow.

Sometimes things come up that surprise us, or at least that happens to me
once in a while.  I asked a couple of friends to help me cut back a
butterfly bush by my porch today.  The reason I wanted sighted help is that
the bush attracts bees, and there were literally swarms of them in among the
branches.  While they were there to trim the bush, my friends told me there
were a zillion cobwebs under my porch roof, on the wall of my house, and on
my bird feeders and suncatcher.  I honestly had no idea.  So they got a
broom and a hose and took care of the cobwebs, and from here on out, that's
something I'll keep in mind.  So independence is a learning process.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.