[blparent] Declan and his feeding issue

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:06:33 UTC 2012

Jo Elizabeth,

No worries, you aren't overstepping. A lot of people have made a similar
suggestion as you, but the issue, unfortunately, isn't that simple. No
he wasn't a premie, but somehow became very sick within 24 hours after
birth. No one really knows why. He's overcome a lot in the last couple
of weeks. Declan becomes hungry and wants to eat. Usually, he initially
takes to a bottle and will drink a small amount. At some point, it's as
though something is painful or at least discomforting. They thought it
was reflux and perhaps he's still developing his swallowing and
breathing, but no one is really sure what the problem is. His ability to
drink is just fine. He also tolerates the full 80 ml's through the tube,
so it's not a matter of too much food, which a lot of people think. He
wants to eat, and even when he's done with the bottle, he's still
hungry. By this point, a baby like Declan should be eating a set amount,
but he's a little puzzling. Eighty mililiters is about 2-1/2 ounces,
which for a baby his size, which is nine pounds, is the minimum amount
he should be eating. Again, the amount doesn't seem to be the problem.
We've had OT, PT and speech path look at him, and no one can figure out
what his problem is. Today we move forward with some test like the
swallow test and upper GI probe. We're on our way to the G-button, which
I hoped to avoid, but he needs to come home; it's been five weeks, and
beyond this issue, he's well enough to come home. At some point, he
needs to come home, and since he can't eat enough from a bottle,
unfortunately this option is the best option so he continues to get
nutrition and grow.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: