[blparent] On independence

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:56:57 UTC 2012

Steve,

I completely agree with you, and you said this much more eloquently than
I so briefly attempted too.

As a totally blind person who has graduated from university by not only
doing most of my own accommodations, but who never excepted a free pass
on assignments or a more "easy" exam because it was thought something
was too difficult for me, traveled to campus independently by public bus
and traversed campus itself on my own, shopped without assistance other
than to find products, navigated many a places without help including
stores, outdoor areas and hospitals, who lives alone with a blind
husband, and cooks, bakes, cleans and watches after their own children,
I also know we are human and will inevitably require help at times. This
help isn't always related to our blindness but just a sincere need for
extra hands. It's ludicrous to expect blind people to feel embarrassed
or ashamed to request for help or take help when offered when a true
need arises.

There is a fine line, and I whole-heartedly agree with your post, Steve,
but I also know we need to just be okay with the fact that assistance is
a part of life. All people should strive for their full potential,
disabled or not. We should encourage one another to reach this potential
and continue to challenge one another, and in the case of blind people,
this often becomes a matter of independence, and how we choose to live
our lives in terms of our blindness.

As a parent, we often will need or want some help. And at the end of the
day, we're exhausted, and a little assistance isn't a bad thing in my
opinion, grin. I think we need to explore our own independence and learn
to challenge ourselves as well as one another. We also need to determine
each individual situation and discover if complete independence is
necessary in that given situation or if we can let lose for a moment and
accept help. This is up to us to decide and no one else. At some point,
we need to be like everyone else

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: