[blparent] feeding solids

Bernadetta bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Tue Oct 9 16:00:28 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,
My son has been eating solids for quite some time now. Still, though
it's being accomplished, it's always been a great frustration for all
three of us: Gabriel, his dad and myself. When we first began with
solids we put Gabriel in his boppit chair and attempted to feed him
that way. Well, that didn't work out very well since his hands were
free to roam any and everywhere, especially into his bowl of food.
After we gave up on the boppit chair I devised a way to feed him while
he sits on my lap. That's been working reasonably well because I can
control his hands and I'm able to accurately gauge where his head is so
that I can feed him without missing his mouth. He starts off being very
patient and cooperative and things are well for about the first two
minutes. Then he becomes irritated and squirmy and I suspect it's
because I'm not feeding him at his preferred pace.
Sometimes when others babysit him they're in charge of feeding him,
naturally, and they have no problems--Probably because they're sighted
and can make the transition from bowl to mouth much faster and more smoothly.
I know we've all dealt with feeding solids to a baby, so I'd love to
hear any tips you all might have. What unique strategies have you
figured out that worked for you and your baby. I'm still working on
refining my strategies as i said, and any new tips and experiences will
be greatly apreciated.
Thanks very much in advance, guys.

Bernadetta