[blparent] feeding solids

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:14:15 UTC 2012

Hello Bernadetta,

This is a fun and interesting phase for all of us parents sighted or not.  I
promise you though that it does get easier as baby gets older.  What worked
well for me is that I would put my son in his high-chair and placed him in
front of me next to our kitchen table.  I then put his bowl of food on the
table next to me and out of his reach.  I would either undress my son or put
a bib on him expecting for a lot of clean-up either way.  I would get a
scoop of food, place one hand under the spoon and with my fingers on the
hand under the spoon try and find my son's mouth as quickly as possible.
Singing songs and making faces and funny noises always helps to make
feeding-time for fun and instills a bit more patients into baby.  Getting
frustrated is something all babies go through as they're learning how to eat
so this is all par for the course.  You could also put on a favorite C-D and
even do silly dances in your chair for baby while they're working on a
bight.  When my son got older I would let him watch a favorite show and now
his favorite thing to do while he eats is to let him play with the iPad
which is a god sent and allows me to get a lot more food into him whether
he's in a chair eating or walking around with a sandwich.  Of course, this
isn't something I'll allow when he's older and at an age where we can really
converse during meal-time and when he'll have more patients but for now it's
magic.  For your son at his age you could also try some of his favorite toys
while he eats that you don't mind getting messy and are easy to wash.

Take care.

Erin