[blparent] feeding solids

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Oct 9 16:29:20 UTC 2012

I don't remember how old your son is, but is he old enough to do at least
some of the feeding on his own? Our son, Austin, got used to us feeding him
and didn't mind being fed at all. Our daughter, Oriana, on the other hand,
decided when she was perhaps ten months or so that she didn't want ANYONE to
feed her, and she wanted to feed herself. This meant a lot of cereal she
could pick up with her hands, soft foods like cheese and bananas, and,
eventually, fruit in little fruit cups, or chopped up into small pieces.
Also eggs when she was a year old. Austin loved waffles, and he got six
teeth fairly early, so he was able to eat waffles broken up into small
pieces when he was about ten months old. but Oriana is not a huge bread
eater, so waffles were not a favorite of hers. Oh, crackers were a staple of
both their diets for a while, along with Gerber puffs which come in all
flavors.
Of course, sometimes we wanted Oriana to have something she couldn't easily
feed herself. When that was the case, we found it much easier to feed Oriana
if we gave her her own spoon to hold. Was this messy??? Absolutely. But, she
was able to explore her food with her spoon, and try to get at least some
bites into her mouth on her own. We were then able to more easily "sneak"
bites into her mouth while she was playing with the spoon.
She loved that. Lastly, having your baby touch the food is, although a messy
pain, actually a great thing for him. It is letting him explore different
textures and letting him use his hands to do all sorts of new and exciting
things. I know, not great for cleanliness, but fantastic, and appropriate,
for his development. So, at least sometimes, try not to worry so much about
the mess and try to focus on the fun of feeding. All of this talk about
feeding has made me wonder what type of solid eater Elizabeth will be. She
is only four months, so right now she's not eating solids... But they are
right around the corner.
Good luck,
Melissa