[blparent] blind parent's rights for custody of blind child

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Oct 22 14:49:22 UTC 2012

If your lawyer isn't helping you, you need another lawyer. He/she should be looking out for you. It almost sounds likee he/she is using "I am not a disability rights lawyer" as an excuse.

This is like any other service, if you aren't getting your needs met, find one who will.

A mediator probably isn't a good idea as by deffinition, you aand your ex have to get along to make th eprocess work. It doesn't sound like that's happening here.
Deffinately don't allow him to kick you out of the home or keep you away from your son.
You two seem to have a very rigid division of labor. I wonder why he always does wakeups and bed-time and you always help with homework? Your ex doesn't need to know Braille to do homework duty.
My daughter is sighted. I have no clue what printed letters look like. I can most deffinately help with homework. I can instill that school matters.  I can help with spelling.  I can show her tools so she can figure out the answers she needs.  I've shown her letters on the computer when she can't remember what a w looks like.
I do wonder why you two have such a lock on the tasks you assist your son with. If you can resolve that both of you are capable parents this will be easier for everybody. You don't have to like each other to do this.
Realize that you are as much an equal as your ex is. He's not the decider for anything.