[blparent] Please help me snap out of my pity-party

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 25 22:47:35 UTC 2012

Bernadetta, you bring up some interesting points.  I have some friends with
a teenage daughter who has baby-sat for my little girl since she was a
newborn.  She told me one day that she mentioned baby-sitting for a blind
mom to another mother she knew.  The mother had a knee jerk reaction and
said, "Oh, a blind mom.  That's just not fair to the child."  I was so
proud--my teenage baby-sitter took that other mom to task.  She said that my
daughter's verbal skills were more advanced than those of other children
she'd cared for because pointing and whining didn't work with me.  She told
the woman how my daughter would always answer when called because I had
taught her that was an unbreakable rule.  She told her that I was outside in
the sandbox with my child, or on the swings, or walking and touching leaves
and pine cones, instead of just glancing out the window once in a while as
the kid entertained herself.  Then she said, "So, how is it not fair for the
child to have a blind mom?"  And it left the woman sputtering.  She finally
said, "I guess I misjudged the situation.  I didn't really know what I was
talking about."

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.