[blparent] Question about Crutches

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:26:33 UTC 2012

Hello Jo Elizabeth,

So terribly sorry to hear about your knee.  That's no fun and those type of
recoveries are often times very long.  I am far too familiar with knee
injuries from sports and from dogs running into me as well while playing.  I
have used both crutches and a walker depending on what position I had to
keep my leg and if I could apply any pressure on it or not.  Both have their
pros and cons and you should use what you're comfortable with.  There are
techniques with crutches where you can use one crutch as a cane ahead of you
before you move forward and then bring both crutches back together for the
actual step.  This is time consuming but works well if you have good
ballence.  The walker is nice for having something in front of you at all
times for protection and is good for ballence but it also doesn't allow one
to stand-up right the whole time while moving which can be hard on the back.
I always like crutches for familiar areas with no stairs but liked a walker
for longer distances and especially in unknown areas.

Hope this helps and heel quick.

Erin