[blparent] Techniques for Feeding Baby Food to a Child

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Oct 31 01:51:57 UTC 2012

Hi, Bob.  Many blind parents have asked this question before you, so please
don't get down on yourself for having trouble feeding solid foods to your
baby.  Parents who can see have a hard time with the issue of getting food
into a moving target.

First of all, now that your baby has probably been eating pureed food for a
little while, he's had some practice at it.  So it might help you to stir a
pinch of baby rice cereal into the jarred fruits and vegetables to thicken
them up a little.  They'll stay on the spoon better if they're slightly
thickened.  There's also a spoon on the market, made by Boon, that has a
bulb on the handle end.  You fill the bulb with food, then squeeze a tiny
bit of food out onto the spoon, which allows you to control drips.

Some people have had good luck holding their babies on their laps for
feedings, because they felt they had better control of turning heads.  That
didn't work for me.  I just put a big plastic bib on my baby, set her in her
high chair, and hoped for the best.  Be prepared for a lot of mess, and
decide ahead of time not to let it upset you.  I promise, it's easier to
just resign yourself to the mess and clean it up afterward than it is to try
and prevent it.  In warm weather or when the house is warm, you can simply
undress your baby and feed him in a diaper, to save on the laundry, and then
wash him off afterward.

Hope this helps.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.