[blparent] Therapist seeking help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:19:35 UTC 2012

	`Peggy,

First, I applaud you for having such an open mind and progressive view.
Blindness certainly can create unique challenges in life, but in my
experience, there's a way to meet these challenges.

When discussing disability, I encourage people to not look at it as a
negative but a positive. Instead of thinking one is limited and focusing
on what you think you can not do, consider a different way in which to
accomplish something. Many people with disabilities have discovered
different ways in which to manage life. I don't believe in limitations,
but I believe new ways can be created to allow people with disabilities
to truly be equal in society.

My husband and I are both blind. We have a three-year-old and a newborn,
two-month-old baby. My husband and I both have college degrees and are
pursuing masters, Ross in computer science and I'm pursuing an MFA in
creative writing. My husband works full-time. We live on our own in our
new house. My biggest problem right now with the kids is making sure
clothes are organized properly so they don't leave the house mismatched,
grin. When considering the scope of parenting, this is a very minor
issue.

Our son has an implanted feeding tube as he had a delay in oral eating,
so though he can consume food orally, it's only so much at a time; hence
the feeding tube. A button is on his tummy. Tubing attaches to this
button, and his food is delivered via a pump. What he can not bottle, we
deliver through the pump. We worked with hospital staff to make sure we
were able to independently manage this, and we have been able too. We
are home now, independently using this pump and feeding our son. This
certainly was a unique situation that Ross and I had to navigate, making
sure others were confident in our ability, and that we could in deed
operate this pump. We were very blessed as we had a team of doctors,
nurses and educators who didn't doubt our ability to parent. No qualms
were present as we prepared to leave the NICU and bring our son home.

I also am type one diabetic, and I have been diabetic for almost 30
years. I didn't lose my vision until I was 22, and it wasn't from my
diabetes, but I have independently managed my diabetes even after losing
sight. I have never found this overly difficult though inconvenient at
times.

The Federation is a great resource, and in fact, there's a booklet
addressing this very issue you bring up. I always forget the name of it,
but I'm sure others have already mentioned it.

If you need answers to specific questions, this is the place to be, and
I, along with many others, are more than willing to assist and provide
any answers, material and resources you need.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan