[blparent] Whose rules should take precedence?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Sep 3 06:39:12 UTC 2012

I guess maybe I could have gone a step further and not let her have the cake
at all, since I knew she was going to eat the frosting off and leave the
rest.  She always does that.  Nanna did see her with the cake, but I reached
out and took it, so I knew how much was left.  A triangle piece, maybe the
size of my palm.  Hardly worth going to war over, I suppose, except that
yesterday, Nanna swatted Sarah twice on the bottom and said, "Maybe your
mommy lets you get away with temper tantrums, but Nanna won't."  I don't, in
fact, let my daughter have temper tantrums.  But I find that when she starts
screeching and waving her arms around, it usually means she's frustrated and
can't find the words fast enough to say why.  So I'm willing to stop her and
make her calm down and take a deep breath, then think about what she wants
to say and get her point across.  That's why I asked the original question,
wondering if maybe I overreacted.  It sounds like most of the consensus is
that I did, which I appreciate hearing, in civil terms.  Nanna and I will
get it figured out, but the bigger issue is that I have to stop her when she
does take over sometimes.  She's told me in the past that it's okay for me
to say she needs to back off a bit, but apparently when I did, it wasn't
right.  It all gets very confusing.  Still, it's called having family type
relationships, and it takes work.  I don't believe there are only two
legitimate choices, either walk away or give in.  I do believe it's good for
our children to see us resolve conflicts and go on loving those who are in
our world.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould