[blparent] Whose rules should take precedence?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Sep 4 13:13:30 UTC 2012

Sounds like Grandpa is the go to guy re cake. Tell Sarah to keep that in mind.
What's more important is that you have this person in your life and you know she's pushy. So she isn't acting out of character. You agreed to this relationship and you knew what you were agreeing to. Don't be at all surprised here.
I'd figure out if you still want to live with these terms or not.
If you and Sarah love this woman, I'd just realize that grandpa is the cake guy and to quietly approach him when this issue comes up again.
The discipline thing is interesting. I realize that you're the parent and you have the right to discipline, but it's not as if Sarah will forget this if someonelse steps in.
I've had situations where family and friends step in partly because my kid is doing something obnoxious or dumb and they're right there, other times because they seem to convey a message using the right language that I for whatever reason am not able to convey. I suspect much of that has to do with them not being Mom.
Three or four is when this stuff starts to kick in. So you have a couple options here. Realize that Sarah is growing up and that other people will have an impact on her life and social development.
Look at Nanna and realize that for whatever reason you chose her to be in your life and you are continuing to choose that path. Opt out if this is no longer tenable, though realize that this may be an extreme solution. Realize that much of life is learning how to appropriately mix several sets of rules. Teach Sarah who she needs to talk to to get what she wants. That's a skill we all need to learn. Grandpa is clearly the go to guy at dessert time. Realize the difference between asking and telling. You could have simply told Nanna "Please give me another slice of cake" and handed it to Sarah. That may be how you handle these situations in the future if you don't go the grandpa route.
As for the tantrum, honestly I'd let it go. Sounds like both of you were spun up and got into a female pissing contest.