[blparent] Sewing (was Diffusing Temper Tantrums)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Sep 4 23:48:18 UTC 2012

Hi, Jodie.  I can sew up a hole in a stuffed animal or a pair of pants.  Not
very beautifully, but well enough to get the job done.  Threading a needle
is hard, though.  There are threaders you can buy that are basically a loop
of stiff fishing line with a small handle.  You push the thread through the
fishing line, then push that through the eye of the needle.  Those sometimes
work, but it's often as difficult to get the thread through the fishing line
as it would be to get it through the needle in the first place.  There's
something on the market now called the One Second Needle, where you lay the
thread on top of the needle and just push down. In my opinion, it's a waste
of money, and a lot of money at that.  The thread either breaks when you try
to push it down into the needle, or it falls out because of the size of the
opening, or it gets stuck in what you're trying to sew.  My favorite needle
is one I can't find anywhere lately.  It's basically a needle that has
somehow been split in half down the middle, but with both ends intact, so
you can open the whole thing with your fingers and push the thread through.

Hope this helps,
Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould