[blparent] playgrounds and climbing structures

Ronit Ovadia Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:12:42 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,
I know this topic has been discussed before here but I wanted to share my
experience with a playground that I had last week to see if any of you had
any suggestions for me.

Last week I took my 17-month-old son to a playground that had a toddler
climing structure. It was quite large and had several slides and bridges
attached to it. I went with a few other moms so I wasn't there alone but
when my son wanted to climb on the structure, I wanted to follow him. I
climbed up after him and kept a hand on him all the time. HE's a new walker
and I was afraid he wouldn't know better if he got too close to an edge
where he could fall off. I had never been to this park before and wasn't
familiar with the structure. I asked the moms to describe to me what was
ahead of me if I turned a certain direction on the structure since I
couldn't easily bring my cane up there. My son was frustrated that I had a
hand onhim the whole time but I was afraid to let him go too far ahead of me
without knowing what was in front of us. It was ok but I felt very
uncomfortable with having to ask for so much help and also I was the only
mom up there on the structure. I"m not as bothered  by this, but I'm
wondering if there is an easier way to do this. I know if I got familiar
with a place, it would probably be easier, but it wasn't possible with this
situation. I had a bell on my son but now that he's walking, I'm more
nervous. Also since I couldn't have my cane with me, I felt more nervous and
less able to explore quickly.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Ronit