[blparent] playgrounds and climbing structures

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:34:17 UTC 2012

Hello Ronit,

What you did was quite appropriate and just fine for the situation.  I think
that even if I were a sighted parent I'd be up on the play structures with
my new walker because any parent couldn't react quick enough to save their
child from a fall unless they were right there with them.  Please don't feel
like you're the only parent that does that kind of thing or that you had to
be up there with your son because you're blind.  Just yesterday I brought my
22.5 month old son to the park and there were a few of the sighted parents
crawling around on the play structures with their kids because their
children were early walkers and more wobbly.  Even with my son now running
around and climbing like an old pro most of the time, I still like to be
quite close just encase.  I'm especially worried most at this age of the
older kids getting too rambunctious and knocking my son over or off of the
structure all together.  I love socializing with all of my girl-friends but
some parents are so caught-up with shooting the breeze that they're
oblivious of what their child is doing.

I know that your son might be frustrated with you for keeping a hand on him
and that's a wonderful sign of independence, but it's also something he will
learn needs to happen in certain situations.  The only thing I can think of
that might prove as helpful to you in the future is to ask another parent in
the beginning to keep an eye on your son while you explore the equipment on
your own.  This way you can really check things out without worrying about
your son and it will make playing with him on the equipment much more fluid
and enjoyable for the both of you.

Hope this helps.

Erin and Dawson.