[blparent] Long overdue update and request for assistance

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:28:31 UTC 2012

Pipi,

First, kudos on taking steps to get training. It's worth it to spend six
to nine months doing it but to have a lifetime of independence.  If I
lived nearby, I'd totally watch your little one, sorry. That has to be
rough, but again, you need to look at long-term here, and I think it
will add to your quality of life despite your difficulties you currently
face.

Since you won't be working, can you qualify for disability and other
assistance programs like Title 9 and others? This may help while you
takes steps to better your life. I know it's not a great solution, but
it would be temporary while you take these steps towards more
independence with learning nonvisual methods and ingratiating yourself
in them.

I really hope the Federation and your NFB affiliate in particular can
help in some capacity whether it be individuals offering help, providing
you with info and resources and anything else they may be able to do. If
not an NFB member, perhaps you can see what perks being a member may
bring. I'm not suggesting the Federation can fix the situation or
provide the most important essentials you need, but they can help point
you in the right direction. AT the very least, know you have virtual
friends supporting you in any way we can.

It will be tough and a lot of work, but worth it in the end. I always
attest to the benefits training brought me. It opened a lot of doors.
Good luck.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: