[blparent] New Parent Introduction

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Sep 20 02:24:47 UTC 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with Bernadetta about the birth plan.  It's important
to educate yourself and write down your ideal wishes so the doctors and
nurses will know how you would like everything to go.  But try not to be
disappointed or down on yourself if your birth doesn't go as expected.  I
was adamant that I wanted to deliver naturally, no drugs, and immediate
breastfeeding after birth.  But I ended up having an urgent C-section after
about twenty-one hours of labor because my daughter got her head turned in
an awkward position and never would have made it out that way.  Still, my
daughter was born with only some minor complications, an that was what
really mattered.

During the birthing classes, the nurse who was teaching us gave us each ten
cards.  The following things were written on each card:

C-section
Forceps
boy or girl
healthy baby
suction during delivery
breaking the waters
fetal monitor during delivery
epidural
episiotomy
IV during labor

She asked each of us to turn over four cards, signifying things we could be
flexible about as we made up our birth plans.  Then we turned over two more
cards, signifying things that would be harder to give way on.  After that,
we turned over two more cards.  I'll never forget it; when we were done with
the activity, the nurse said, "If all of you don't still have 'healthy baby'
face up, I don't even want to hear about it."

Anyway, I wish you all the best during your pregnancy.  Enjoy it as much as
you can.  At no other time in your life will naps be all but prescribed.
*Smile.*

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.