[blparent] on public transportation with a baby

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Sep 29 00:15:02 UTC 2012

It's quite a balancing act to get on a bus with a baby, a diaper bag, a cane
or a dog, a stroller, a purse, and any shopping packages or whatever else
you might be carrying.  The best way for me was to have the stroller folded
up before the bus arrived at the stop in case the driver happened to be
behind schedule or just plain impatient.  When my daughter was small, I
sometimes wore a hip bag or carried a backpack, so a purse was one less
thing I had to juggle.  I could put stuff that I was carrying into the
backpack or the diaper bag, then what I did even though it was a bit
unconventional was to let my dog go up the bus steps while only holding her
leash instead of the harness handle.  Then I tucked the folded stroller
under one arm and held the baby with the other, or used a carrier, although
I never did like either of my carriers because they were too much for my
back and shoulders.  I had a fairly light stroller, so if you have a heavy
one, you might have to adjust how you position everything a little.  Often
if there were other people waiting at the stop, someone would offer to carry
the stroller, and I always said thank you and let him or her do it.  I know
some would see that as a sign of not being independent, but I was eager to
get on the bus with the least hassle and grateful for the help.  I've never
seen a stroller strapped down in the spot where people in wheelchairs sit.

To tell the truth, maybe I'm obsessive, but I practiced my bus stop routine
in my living room, with a doll and an empty stroller, and timed myself till
I could get ready to board as quickly as possible.  I was glad I had
practiced once I did the real thing because I didn't get quite as
overwhelmed with only having two hands when I needed five or six.  Adding a
squirming and perhaps crying baby was a lot different than working with a
doll, but still, I had some idea of what to do first, next, and last.

I found that I really had to want or need to get somewhere before I was
willing to travel on public transportation with my baby.  It's a lot of
work.  If I wanted to do something fun like going to the zoo or the water
park, it was often easier and less stressful for me to hire a driver or ask
a friend to go with me and offer to pay for her children's admission.  Or
sometimes a friend would want to go anyway, so we would pay separately and I
would spring for lunch or pack a picnic.  Many local moms' groups organize
monthly trips, even more in the summer, to local places of interest, so you
could join in on a car pool and pay your share of the gas and road tolls.
Some churches have driving services, and you can also take a baby on
Paratransit, although you might have to pay extra.  So by all means use the
bus, but look for more creative options as well instead of staying home,
which will be a temptation you'll probably have to resist at times because
of the energy needed to travel with your caravan--and yes, you'll feel
loaded down like a camel.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.