[blparent] Blind parents traveling with kids

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 02:04:33 UTC 2013

Ross and I are both blind, so we have no other option than to do things
nonvisually. In certain situations, a pair of eyes would definitely be
convenient, but it can also be done nonvisually just as safely.

The leash is great for when kids are still too young to understand
certain dangers, and they don't always follow parental advice. Our
three-year-old is old enough to follow directions (sometimes, giggle) to
the point where we are confortable not using a leash with her, but once
the baby is walking, we will use the leash until we are comfortable that
he can be safe without it.

Once at a destination, we don't always keep the kids tethered, so to
speak, but while in transport, it's just good for our peace of mind. And
especially in crowded situations; even sighted parents use a child leash
in large crowds.

We do the hold hand approach too, but kids get to that point where they
want to move on their own free of mommy or daddy. The leash provides
them this freedom, but gives the parents some control and peace of mind.

Strollers are just as effective though, and a child can be in a stroller
up to the age of three or even four. Or any mobile product like a wagon.

Bridgit
Message: 1