[blparent] Clothing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:55:48 UTC 2013

Gloria,

I have a seven-month-old, so I have recently been through this.

You will probably change onsies often especially once your baby is
older, more active and eating more. I also bought a lot of comfy cotton
pants and socks.

Since Declan and I are home most days, he just is in onsies and pants.
When we go out and about, I will put him in an actual outfit.

To keep outfits together, I hang them up as a set and safety pin
together when throwing in the laundry so they stay together.

With onsies and pants, I have hung all onsies up separated by sleeve
length and colors. His cotton pants are also separated by colors. Other
pants like khakis and jeans are kept in a different spot.

With a newborn, lots of receiving blankets are good. Swaddling is great,
and babies love it. Declan loved being swaddled for the longest time
especially at night.

Other blankets are also good to keep baby warm. They recommend a baby
not sleep with a blanket these days, but during the day I would keep a
blanket on him when I was around and he wa just laying around.

You'll want lots of sleepers, warm ones since they shouldn't sleep with
a blanket. The button up ones are nice because it's easier to check
diapers since you don't have to unzip the entire sleeper; you can just
unbutton a couple of buttons around the diaper area.

You'll also want hats for baby. Cotton beanies and stocking hats are
great for cold weather. During summer, a floppy hat like the kind
fishers use works great.

You don't need a ton of clothes though. I wash Declan's clothes once or
twice a week, so we just repeat outfits, but like I said, you may change
onsies frequently due to dribbling, milk getting on onsie, leaking
diaper, and once eating solids, it can be pretty messy, grin.

Also bibs. I put a bib on Declan even when giving a bottle. He's eating
solids now, and I use a big plastic smock. It's by Bumpkin brand, and it
has long sleeves and hangs down past his knees. We get way less food on
him with this bib, grin. But for newborns, you can get those little
terry-cloth bibs that work great. Also once they start teething, they
will drool a lot. This can happen early. Declan started teething at four
months. I had two teeth by the time I was four months, so you just never
know. Bibs are great for keeping messes off clothes.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but these are the basics.

Bridgit
Message: 6