[blparent] crossing the street

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Fri Feb 15 19:45:14 UTC 2013

This is one I have worried over too. I have worked hard to develop the habit
of turning my head at the street to set the example. I do feel pretty silly
when I do this from habit when I am occasionally out without my kids. :)
This is probably easier for me because I did not loose my site until my
teens, so I learned to travel as a sighted pedestrian.

I also put my cane out in front of my kids as a signal for them to wait to
cross until I move it. When I had a dog I instructed my son not to go until
I said forward and the dog moved. I have not done any of this with my oldest
in a number of years. In fact If all of the boys are with me then my oldest
holds one hand and I hold another brothers hand.

All of this being said, it has not worked perfectly. I have 3 strong willed
and independent boys who sometimes think they know better than me, and who
do not always follow the rules.

I suspect yours was more of a case of an adolescent who was not following
the rules. Obliviousness is a common trait of that age group. :)

Jennifer