[blparent] crossing the street

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Fri Feb 15 17:13:31 UTC 2013

Hello, here's a subject I don't recall ever covering.  As we were crossing
the street a few days ago, my husband, Gab and I, I, of course, did not turn
my head to look, just listened to the road ahead.  My husband could not see
the traffic coming up the road due to a parked car so he took a few steps
forward to look around the car and Gab thought he was crossing.  I had
already stopped and she kept going, when my husband reached out and yanked
her back.
There was a car rapidly approaching.  She said she thought it wa safe
because dad stepped forward and she did not see me stop.
The reason for this post is I am wondering how others, us blind parents
teach our children to look for cars on a busy or eeven a not so busy road.
I have always said look both ways, first to the left, then the right and
then again to the left.
But I think because we, the blind community, don't turn our heads, our
children follow our lead.
Your thoughts?