[blparent] guide dog training

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:46:02 UTC 2013

Hello Steph,

Here are some tips I hope help you a ton.  I haven't had to go away for a
successor dog while my little guy is at home but I have worked with many
graduates who have so, some of this advice is from lessons learned by others
and from my own experience with a tot at home with a young dog.  Skype if
you can.  This is a great way for kids to see the ones they love and talk
with them "face-to-face".  Also, leave her with things to remind her of you.
Maybe make something special for her like a picture book of you guys or even
some special project you did together.  Then bring home a little gift for
her when you come home because bringing a new dog home is in many ways like
bringing another child into the home.  It might help to give your tot a task
of their very own to help-out with the new pup when you get home.  This way
it will help your child except the dog better and feel a sense of control
and importance in the whole new situation.  It will also help your new dog
bond with your munchkin as well which is a plus.  Something like helping you
to prepare the food at meal-time or help you brush the dog as long as they
are gentle about this type of thing can be great things for your tot to do
to help mommy.  My son who is also two helps me with preparing food, some
grooming, holding a poop bag for me while my dog is finding his spot,
rubbing shampoo onto my dog's fur in the tub, cleaning the dogs toys and
more.  They are so eager to help at this age so take advantage.  My son also
is great about telling me when the dog is getting into something that he
shouldn't which I absolutely love.  Many a stuffed animal have been saved
because of my little guy letting me know that temptation got the best of my
canine. SMILING

Hope this helps,

Erin