[blparent] Planning a Birthday Party

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jan 16 13:56:43 UTC 2013

Sounds like there are two issues. One is having strangers (which isn't the term I'd use for Sarah's friends and their families) in your home, and the second is logistical.
If you don't want people in your home there are plenty of places that host parties. You pay them, and sometimes they provide the food and cake, sometimes you do.
Most kids will just want to run around and play in a pack so if you have it at your house, let them do that. Or if you want games, have Sarah help with that.
As for serving food, you can always serve it buffett style.

To me though, the bigger issue is why you regard the families of your daughter's friends as "strangers".  Everybody you haven't met yet is a stranger, yet you interact with them everyday. Some you become friends with, some you date, some you only see some of the time. You let down your walls all the time to have the relationships that matter to you. You need to decide that these parents are people you want to get to know, or you need to decide they are not.  Either way, that doesn't mean they have to be in your home.