[blparent] Planning a Birthday Party

Jeri Milton jjmilton at cox.net
Wed Jan 16 16:44:50 UTC 2013

Hi Jo Elizabeth.

That's a good question. The parties that we've had for Dylan since he's been
in school have been at the pizza place. I like to do it there because it's
less work for us here at home, both before and after the party. I do want to
do one here at home however, I don't want to do it without help. People who
can see like to have help prepping for a party, so it's ok. If you have it
at home do you have a person who can help you out? As far as the food goes,
I agree that buffet style is the way to go. Serve themselves you know? We in
the past have done a crock pot with meatballs, some rolls on a platter, chip
and dip. Then disposable cups, and a couple bottles of soda or juice. Maybe
some water bottles and a pot of coffee. That way you're eliminating the
worry about touching their food. Also, you never know some of the parents
may end up being helpful. I totally understand your anxieties though. Heck
just when we had Dylan's party last November, there was a mom who was
totally apprehensive to approach me. Carl was running around with the kids,
but I was setting with my mom. I would move around between the tables with
my cane, but at one point I guess there was a mom who had slowly walked up
to me. You know, stealth like? Hehehehe. Anyway, she finally worked up the
courage to introduce herself and to tell me which one was her kid. The only
reason I know about her coming up to me slowly is because my sister in law
was watching her the entire time. It was as if she just didn't quite know or
maybe understand that yes, Dylan's mom is blind boys and girls. Hehehehe.
Sometimes it is fun to try to read people's reactions. Anyway, Jo Elizabeth
you strike me as the type of mom who will be just fine either way you decide
to do it.

Jeri