[blparent] Questions on how to clip finger/toe nails

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jan 19 04:42:42 UTC 2013

Unless there are other factors, I think you can handle this even if it is scarey the first time.  It really isn't long until he can manage this himself.

Clippers are different, but look at the ones you have.  On many clipers, one of the edges that cuts sticks out more than the other.  If you have that type of
clipper, make sure that the edge that sticks out is the edge that goes underneath the nail.  By doing this, you almost guarantee that the cut won't be too
short because the edge that is sticking out will come in contact with the finger or toe beneath the nail and the cut will be slightly toward the end of the nail
because the upper edge is not as far from the end.

Second, it never hurts to cut too little off.  If you are uneasy, experiment with cutting a little and see what you get.  You can always cut less off each time
and cut more often, or just plan on each nail taking two cuts at first.  Third, Give your son a try at this with your help.  He may not be ready to do this alone
for a while, but it may not be long.  Fourth, remember that some kids are going to be some afraid of cutting anything off and will think it will hurt or even that
it does hurt when it doesn't.  That's harder to manage, but again, just don't cut too much off and you can be pretty sure it isn't hurting him.

Although I know it is not quite the same, if you are able to cut your own nails, you'll be able to cut his with a little thought and practice.  At four years of
age, he can be of some help, which is a far better position to be in than when one cuts a baby's nails.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson