[blparent] Your thoughts on this?

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 00:25:54 UTC 2013

Hello,

My father was huge on the Boy Scout motto while I was growing-up which says,
"Always be prepared."  Of course, my father stuck to explaining things and
reenacting tragedies that were age appropriate but I truly feel to this day
that it helped prepare me to be on guard and think before reacting what
trouble is happening.  Making something muscle memory is a great way to
prepare one's self for those worse case scenarios.  After all, this is what
Karate and all types of defense training work to do.  I can't help but think
about that one 6 year old little girl who survived in the recent school
shooting because she thought to lay-down and stay really quiet while all of
her classmates were being blown away.  Maybe that little girl had amazing
instincts but maybe her parents had talked a lot with her and prepared her
as much as they could for tragic situations.  The shooter saw all the blood
on that little girl that actually belonged to her class mates and he thought
she was dead.  I only pray that my husband and I can instill great instincts
and muscle memory into our son for emergency situations and at the same time
do it in a way that doesn't scare him but instead empowers him and helps him
to feel more prepared.

Erin