[blparent] Finding ticks on kids nonvisually?

Mark Feliz mafeliz0641 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 21:00:31 UTC 2013

On occasion we would have a bad tick season here in Arizona. I have
always felt confident and thorough in discovering any ticks on both my
children and dogs. I have never known a tick to barrow under the skin.
They are the size of a pinhead up to a kernel of corn and attach
themselves to the skin. They are easily detected on skin by applying
lotion--suntan lotion for example. As you know from breast checks
anything stands out more with lubricant. As kids become older they are
great at telling if they have a persistent itch--good indication of a
tick. Be careful when removing the tick, do not just pull at it,
gently twist and slightely pull the body of the tick. The tick will
detach itself. Don't pop the tick to remove because the head will
remain in skin.

A good exploration of your kid's body during batheing, applying
lotion, brushing hair, etc. will do the trick.

Mark Feliz