[blparent] Blind dating

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 14 17:45:43 UTC 2013

I know they have dating services for Little People but not heard of
services specific to other disabilities, though this doesn't mean they
don't exist.

I, to an extent, understand why some may want to meet someone with a
similar disability, but on the flip side of the coin, do we limit our
potential by only seeking out people who are similar? I think this
applies to dating as much as it does to anything else in life. I mean,
blindness is just one aspect of an individual. If a person can't see
beyond the cane, so to speak, then they are probably not worth your
time. I think we should pursue dating and relationships like we would
anything else, with fair treatment and equality. This doesn't mean it's
wrong to seek out and date other blind people. Hell, I'm married to
another blind person, though I didn't seek this out, grin. But I say
look beyond the conventions and out appearances to find a life-partner,
and this applies to friends as much as a romantic partner.

Bridgit
Message: 5