[blparent] Small Group Discussions with Blind Mothers at NationalConvention

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 16:46:22 UTC 2013

When doing research it is often necessary to limit the scope of one's
work to a specific subpopulation. In the case of disabled parents,
society likely places different expectations on mothers and fathers
and so the research question Angela has could be one that deals more
with disabled mothers' place in society than disabled fathers'. That
doesn't mean that disabled fathers' perspectives don't matter, just
that they are outside the scope of her very focused study. It is just
one study and perhaps she could decide to study disabled fathers in
the future. I just conducted a research study myself where I limited
the sample to job-seeking blind adults living in the United States,
because I am interested in very specific job-seeking activities that
blind Americans participate in. I care about blind job-seekers living
in other countries too, but their cultures and employment
opportunities are very different and go beyond the scope of my small
study. Again, that's something I might study later, just not yet. So
let's avoid assuming ill intentions of Angela or any other researcher
who picks out a small subsample to study.

Best,
Arielle