[blparent] ipad mini and kids

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Mar 12 12:06:33 UTC 2013

The Ipad is cool. It also has voiceover so you don't need to see it which will help you.
If it is more palatable, buy an Ipad for the family, that way you won't feel like you are giving your kid something he shouldn't due to his age be getting.
I'd also be sure you think he really needs one v, wants one. His wants shouldn't come into play in your decision process. Kids have always wanted things they shouldn't get, remember as a kid wanting a pony or a dog or an airplane?
You'd want to get a real good case for the Ipad so when it hits the floor it won't break. You also want to be willing and able to supervise him while he's on it.
Lastly, if he's got a low frustration point, he doesn't get one of these devices. They are expensive and they break. An accident is one thing, tossing the Ipad across the room because he's pissed it didn't do what he thought it should is another.

Another option you have is to let him play computer games on a traditional laptop. Laptops sitting on a desk are less easy to break.
As for actually purchasing an Ipad, given his special needs, maybe you can get one at a reduced fee. It might fall under adaptive technology given his and your circumstances. I'd look into that angle since money is tight for you. Also, don't rule out a refurbished Ipad