[blparent] I'm distraught!

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 01:05:31 UTC 2013

Hello Jo Elizabeth,

I will be praying for you and your daughter as these type of events know how to shake the nerves.  I hope that after the initial scare of it all subsides you can find peace in knowing that any of us who get out and about independently are going to face situations like yours.  Sometimes they will be our own fault and sometimes it will be the fault of others.  I always take moments like this and praise God that he protected me and it makes me that much more aware for next-time.  I had someone blow a red light just a month ago and came within inches of hitting my 2.5 year old, guide dog and myself.  Times like that make me really appreciate every moment I have with my little guy and really helps to prioritize what's really important in life.  When my son was about 18 months I was crossing an 8 lane intersection that I cross nearly every day when I became distracted with trying to comfort my munchkin in the carrier and didn't notice my dog beginning to veer into the intersection because he saw another dog at the diagonal corner.  I was about two lanes in and had cars swerving all around me.  I literally called-out to Jesus in that moment and just tried to get to the diagonal corner while clutching onto my son in one hand and guide in the other.  Staying calm was key so that I didn't freak my kid out or make things way worse for my guide but it was by the grace of God that I was able to stay calm.  A few moments later a man stopped his car and jumped-out to help me to the curb.  I know that man was my angel and even though I was quite shaken, I continued on and finished my grocery shopping that afternoon to distract me if anything from stewing over the whole thing.  This was a situation that would probably send most people in to a state of Agoraphobia, but after I digested a piece of my own heart from the near coronary, I thank the Lord and figure it's not my time yet and God's going to keep me safe until it is my time.  We've got to live life and debilitating fear is a disability we do have the choice to have or not.

I'm so happy to hear that you and your daughter are safe. Hugs, Erin