[blparent] Technology with toddlers

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Wed May 15 00:57:20 UTC 2013

Hello Michael,

My 2.5 old son is absolutely amazing on our iPad and has benefited
tremendously from the educational programs available these days, especially
the interactive ones.  With this said, my husband and I spend special
attention to monitor his viewing very closely and carefully as our son can
find things at times that have a cute Elmo picture or something of that
nature while it turns out to be something pure evil put out by a creep with
nothing better to do than try and warp kids.  We spend quite a bit of time
down-loading things for our son ahead of time but occasionally he likes to
browse on UTube so we watch close and erase the history any-time something
inappropriate comes on.  We also make sure to let our son know that
something is good or bad rather than just reacting to it when it pops-up on
the screen.  This has helped a ton because in the rare case that something
bad pops-up I've seen my son choose to turn something off right away and
then say that it was "not good".  I praise him hugely for this and tell him
how proud I am of him for making the right decision.  Additionally, I make
sure to limit his iPad time or iPhone time with friend's devices and have a
variety of activities going on in his day that have nothing to do with
technology.  Such activities for us include but are not limited to going for
hikes, going to the park, preschool, going to church at least twice a week,
playing games, going to Sea World and the zoo regularly, playing with the
dog, learning a foreign language with classes, playing with toys, reading
together, going to the library , singing together and playing make-believe.
I feel that by focusing on a variety of activities we are stretching all
parts of the brain.  Technology is a very real part of our lives and kids
today are needing to be at the top of their game with it more than ever just
to keep-up with their peers and have a competitive edge for their future.  I
have truly seen how technology when used properly has benefited kids and
stretched their minds and advanced their skills.  Likewise, this is a two
edged sword that we as parents need to be careful of and make sure that our
children are getting a large variety of learning methods in their everyday
lives.  As we all know, exercise alone is one of those things that hold
significance as kids can fall into a whole of sitting on the couch way more
than they should in a day.

Take care,

Erin.