[blparent] How do you all handle the issue of your kids not telling the truth?

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Fri May 31 13:16:00 UTC 2013

The socks and shoes issue is separate from the kite issue. Do you understand this? Does she?
Once you figure this out, you'll know what you need to do. My approach would be to do what you say you were going to do, check her feet or bag or whatever it is that she is leaving the house with.
Her stepbrother is the one you need to be concerned about. He's lying and in addition, he's using his influence to get someone with less life experience to do things she is not comfortable with. He needs to know how very wrong this is. This really isn't about a kite. What does his dad say about this? And his mom? Are there any adults who grasp how serious this is? Do you?
This has nothing to do with blindness. My concern is that your stepson has some real issues. Sarah is just being a little kid. If it wasn't about socks and shoes, she'd be doing this with some other thing. My solution with Sarah would be to remind her through actions that you know what is going on and be a bit more vigilant. Kids know who is paying attention and when, and they know that no adult can pay attention every single second. That's just part of life.