[blparent] another off topic question about smart phones

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Sep 2 15:03:25 UTC 2013

Varonica,

There isn't a simple answer to your question, I'm afraid.  I think it is fair to say that VoiceOver on the iPhone provides more stable and complete
accessibility than do the alternatives on Android, but that isn't the complete answer.  Code Factory has a suite of programs that runs under Android that
provides the ability to do many functions pretty well, but as I understand it, their approach uses some of their software to accomplish that which has it own
pros and cons.  The accessibility that one can get free of chargbe on the Android is less complete than the CodeFactory suite but it does allow one to use
the phone for basic functions.  I don't know how well it handles web browsing and email, but that will likely continue to evolve.  On the other hand, one
can find Android phones cheaper and some still have keyboards, and some find keyboards to still be easier to use than the touch screens.  If one gets an
iPhone plus some sort of keyboard, one is starting to talk about a good deal of money.  Also, as one who bought an iPhone two months ago, I can say
that there is a definite learning curve, but that my iPhone is more stable than my old Windows Mobile 6 smartphone ever was, but I cannot say how stable
Android phones are.  I believe it is fair to say that because of how Android is developing that it will likely continue to get better.

The bottom line is that if you can get an Android phone at a price you can afford, you should be able to do the basics and some of the apps developed for
blind persons are available both on the iPhone and on Android.  You would want a phone that runs the latest version of Android, though.  If you can afford
it and you want to play it safe and you are willing to spend some time learning about the touch screen, then the iPhone is probably your best bet.  There
are happy Android users, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson