[blparent] Guide dog questions

Rob Kaiser rcubfank at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 25 01:08:33 UTC 2013

Hello all. first of all, let me say that the mom who's dog saved her child I
give you great courage. Keep up the courage and best of luck to you.

Regarding getting a dog:
I was a dog user for 14 years from 2july of 1978 to June of 1992. I went to
Leaderdog School in Rochester, MI. I had four dogs three were excellent
dogs. I tried to go again this past Februrary, but do to health issues, I
was unable to complete my training. At Leaderdog, you can get your local
Lions club to sponcer you as one possibility. Leaderdog pays for the airline
ticket to and from the school You also get three excellent meals there every
day. Everyone there has their own room. You go outside another door to the
area where your dog goes to the bathroom. They have changed their way of
training to where the classes are much smaller so there is more one-on-one
training. Also, the way the dogs are training is different. They use more
possitive reinforcement with the dogs.

As a point of info, I was told by Stephany Steal (the student coordinator)
that when I am ready to get my dog, they will bring the dog to me.

I am not familiar with an of the other schools, but I think that they all
work similar.

Depending on where you go to get your dog, you need to know what the weather
is like for that time of the year. For example, if you go to Mishigan in the
Winter, you will need the propper clothing you wi\ould need to have for
Winters in the midwest. Last Februrary, when I was there, we had some days
where there was a lot of snow, In Fact, wone day, there was seven inches of
snow on the ground. Obviously, we didn't work our dogs that morning, but as
soon as the sidewalks were cleared, we were back out on the streets
practicing with our dogs.

The school provides all fo dogfood, and dog treats needed while you are at
the school It would be a good idea to already have a good vet in mind when
you go back home with your dog.

If you want more information, you can contact me off list @;
rcubfank at sbcglobal.net
Or, you can call me @(847)989-0768.

Sorry for the long email.

I ope that this helps you and everyone else who might have questions.