[blparent] Seeking effective, yet positive ways to discipline children

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Aug 1 05:52:29 UTC 2014

Hi.  Are you asking how a blind person can put across a stern look without
making eye contact?  If so, I think it really comes down to vocal tone, or
the words you choose  to use.  You don't have to raise your voice at all.
You just have to mean what you say and say what you mean.  If one of your
daughters demands ice cream this exact second, you tell her you'll get it
for her in a moment.  If she pesters you, you remind her to wait.  If she
keeps on bugging you, she doesn't get any for a little while, or maybe at
all.  Easier said than done, God knows I've caved in or snapped at my
daughter for nagging at me, and neither approach works.  What works is that
she asks once and learns to wait.  Mine has learned that she asks, I take
the container out and wait for the ice cream to soften enough that I can
scoop it easily, and then she gets some.  No fuss.  If she dumped a potted
plant out, she'd have a big mess to clean up, and I'd be pretty upset about
her ruining something of mine.She'd have a lot of explaining to do.  Temper
tantrums earn her time sitting on the stairs with nothing to look at or do.
Consistency is key.  She's six.  Thinking things through before the moment
of crisis is a good idea as well.  Best of luck.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.