[blparent] Head lice questions for blind parents or caregivers.

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 22:26:37 UTC 2014

Hi Riquel,

Don't be embarrassed at all...  Lice are something that we have to deal with in this world and those darn buggers don't discriminate as to whom they're going to invade with their presents...

I remember getting lice a few times as a child from camp one time and from sharing hats and brushes with other kids a few other times.  The most important thing is killing the buggers before they spread in your home and take over.  Back when I was a child it was the heavy chemical shampoo and bug sprays all through the house in addition to washing everything a couple times on hot to make sure they weren't in blankets, pillow cases etc...  If you can get them fast enough I think that the more natural products can work but do what you got to do if that doesn't do the trick.  My son's preschool class came down with head lice last year and thankfully we never got it.  What I did to kill any prospective bugs and their eggs is, I first stripped us both down at the door as soon as we got home.  I through our clothes into a hot wash and put us both through a shower.  Then I went to Alta and got some Fairy Tales which is a line of products that makes some great natural lice killing shampoo.  All I had to do with this stuff is put it through my sons hair and mine when our hair was damp and then wash it out so many minutes later.  You repeat this process a couple of times and comb through the hair with the special  egg catching comb they provide in the box.  I also purchased a lice deterrent hair detangle spray also made by Fairy Tales and I swear this stuff really works.  Before we found out about the lice outbreak at my son's school my little guy had sat in a car seat belonging to one of the kids who had come down with lice.  I strongly feel that hadn't we done these measures we would have had lice to deal with in our home.  As for the home there are natural deterrent sprays that are supposed to work if you continue to use them but we didn't end-up going this far in our home.  What I did do however, is I went through and grabbed all the bedding, stuffed animals or anything fabric that could be put into the wash and washed those items on hot, letting them soak for several minutes before running the lode.  As for our shoes, back pack and other items we had on us that day we came home from his school with the daunting news, I put those things quickly into a doubled garbage bag and placed them out in our outdoor storage for several days to let any eggs die because they can't live very long without a blood source unlike fleas who can live dormant for a whole year.  I utilized anyone with sight around us to continue to check my son's head and my own for a few days to be safe but having had lice as a child, you can feel the stickiness of the eggs on the comb if you have enough of them in your hair, but it is a pretty visual and tricky procedure.  Something else you can do is bring the children to a hair dresser who specializes in getting rid of lice.  You then can save yourself a huge step and worry about dealing with spraying and washing-down the house.  Running the hair brushes through the dish washer will also aide in getting rid of any eggs.  Since my son is a boy and can get away with it I would have shaved his head completely bald if he did come down with lice to save ourselves a huge hassle.  Also, remember that despite popular belief lice love clean heads because their eggs stick to clean hair really well.  Using the natural deterrent sprays that have eucalyptus, rosemary and other herbs are something lice can't stand and stay away from.

Hope this volume of information proves helpful for you...  Best to you and your family and may the force be with you on your adventure toward getting rid of the invaders.

Erin-----Original Message-----