[blparent] doing hair

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:14:19 UTC 2014

Hi, Tara.

Congratulations! Good for you for thinking way, way ahead.

To some extent, doing hair will probably be something you and your
little girl work out. It will depend on what she wants, too. Some
basic things to know are to brush or comb her hair with a slightly wet
brush or comb so it doesn't hurt too much. I don't know about anyone
else, but I used to hate having my hair brushed because of the knots
in it, whether it was short or long. I knew it had to be done, so I
sat through it stoically, but I only enjoyed it when I used a damp
comb or brush on myself, or someone else did.

I've found that my older daughter likes having other people work on
her hair, but isn't so keen on Mom doing it. She's more conscious of
it now and helps me style it a little since she's taken an interest in
it. She's four now and a little more willing to have me put a clip or
a hairband in it. Sometimes, you can style her hair if she's
distracted by an interesting conversation you might be having, or if
she's watching a movie. Get lots of little clips and hairbands in
different colors and let her choose the ones she wants.

Have fun!

Jen